There’s a lot that goes into a successful digital marketing campaign. To see genuine results, you’ll need the best tools to make sure your ads are being seen by the right people and are as effective as possible.
As experts in social media marketing in Devon, we know that tracking and analytics are a vital part of any campaign. Without the ability to analyse your website, who visits it and the kind of actions they take, you cannot tailor your ads effectively.
If you want to improve the success of your Facebook ads, creating a pixel is vital. Our guide takes you through everything you need to know about setting up your pixel.
What is a Facebook Pixel?
A tracking pixel is essentially a piece of code that you write into the backend of your website. Installing this code will allow you to collect data on your site’s users, gathering information that enables you to target ads more successfully.
A ‘pixel’ is a generic term used for this kind of tool, but is most commonly associated with Facebook’s pixel, which is what we cover here.
It works by using cookies to track users’ behaviour, showing you what they are clicking on and how they are navigating the website. When your pixel is correctly set up, it will fire every time an action is taken on your site – this will include when items are added to baskets and purchases are made.
You can read more about making the most of Facebook’s functions in our guide to Facebook Shops.
Why Should You Install a Pixel?
Using a pixel can benefit your campaign and, ultimately, your business in numerous ways. It will allow you to:
- Create highly targeted ads from the data you collect.
- Make sure your ads are being seen by the people most likely to perform the actions you’re looking for.
- Remarket goods and services to previous users.
- Measure the results of your ads so you can refine your strategy for future campaigns and build targeted audiences.
When it comes down to it, all of these things will help to improve your conversion rates and drive more sales.
How to Set Up Facebook Pixel
The basic requirements for setting up your Facebook pixel are:
- You have a website
- You can update your website’s code
Follow these steps to set up a Facebook pixel:
- Go to Facebook’s ‘Events Manager’ and select ‘Pixels’ and then ‘Create a pixel’.
- Enter your pixel name and select ‘Create’.
- At this stage, you’ll see three pixel installation options – ‘Connect a Partner Platform’, ‘Manually Install Pixel Code Yourself’ or ‘Email Instructions to a Developer’. The following steps take you through the manual option.
- Select your newly created pixel and click ‘Continue Pixel Setup’ and ‘Install code manually’.
- Copy the pixel base code.
- Go to the header in the website code and paste all of the base code into the header section at the bottom, just above the </head> tag.
- You will then have the option to enable ‘Automatic Advanced Matching’, which will verify which information about your customers that you want to send to Facebook. Toggle the relevant categories.
- You can now add events by using the ‘Event Setup Tool’ or by manually adding event code.
- When selecting the manual option, you can choose from a list of events that are best suited to your goals.
- You will then have the option to set specific event parameters. Once you have selected the relevant options, copy and paste the event code on the relevant page.
- At the end of installation, you will be given the option to install a Google Chrome Pixel helper extension that will help check you have set up your events correctly.
- Once you have selected everything and checked the code works correctly, select ‘Done’. You will now be able to successfully track your audience’s behaviour and tailor ads.
Here at Ducard, we provide a range of digital marketing services designed to help you connect with your audience, improve your online presence and boost sales. To find out how we could help your business and make sure your ads are the best they can be, get in touch with our expert team today.